Strategic Planning provides Athletics with a contemporary management tool for delineating the precise tactics, priorities and resources required for meeting changes in the internal and external environments in which it operates. Those dynamic environmental factors may include: university and state policies and procedures; Title IX compliance; conference membership; university planning; sports sponsorship; competitive expectations; revenue generation and facilities.
Mission, Vision, and Core Values
Formal contemporary Core Values, along with Mission and Vision Statements are foundational to the planning process.
- A concise Mission Statement, directly related to the Athletics’ Mission, Vision and Core Values, describes Athletics’ purpose (what), why the service is provided (why), who is served (who), and how the services are being delivered (how).
- A brief and compelling Vision Statement describes what Athletics’ wishes to become.
- Core Values define the Athletics’ program. They are foundational characteristics that are intensely and broadly agreed upon as the guiding principles for Athletics’ future decision making.
Developed concurrently with the Situation Analysis, these Assumptions characterize Athletics by bringing greater focus and a consistent understanding of the environment in which Athletics operates.
- State and Federal government regulations
- University policies and procedures
- Conference requirements
- Title IX compliance
- Sports sponsorship
- Fiscal constraints
- Competitive expectations
- Facility requirements
This Analysis provides a description of the most salient internal and external environmental factors that influence Athletics ability to achieve its Mission and Vision. Beginning with Athletics current position, these factors are categorized as strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats.
The themes that most influence Athletics’ strategic direction emanate from the Situation Analysis; the supporting rationale for these themes are also included.
Goals and Strategies
Linked to the Success Factors are a set of measurable primary goals and supporting strategies, along with corresponding due dates, responsibilities, resource requirements, prioritization and timelines.
Review and Assessment
Essential to this activity is a scheduled review of key elements of Athletics’ strategic plan.